Situated on the edge of the Rift Valley, the Angama Mara Safari Lodge is a premier safari destination overlooking the Mara Triangle and Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya. Named for the Maasai people that inhabit this region of Africa, this area is one of the most productive parts of the Serengeti ecosystem, giving visitors the opportunity to witness incredible landscapes, the Great Migration, and year-round wildlife sightings of cheetahs, elephants, rhinos, lions, and more.
Speaker Nicky Fitzgerald and her husband, Steve, are the owners of Angama Mara and have been in the travel and hospitality business for over 30 years, building and operating over 60 luxury lodges across Africa and India. Nicky will talk about the challenges, highlights, and stories that come with opening and running lodges in remote Africa. She’ll also discuss the unique experiences found in Kenya and answer questions.
Topics of the talk include:
- What it takes to open a safari lodge in the middle of rural Kenya
- The journey of building a 30,000 sq.ft. lodge in 10 months
- How the tourism experience can impact the image of a country, reserve, and surrounding community
- How Angama Mara approaches giving back to the community and environment
- The pros and cons of managing cultural tourism along with the lodge
- 32 years ago, the film Out of Africa had many scenes shot on the property and what that means for guests who love this story (and where else in Kenya people can experience aspects of the movie)
Location: The Adventure Hub & Winery, 2960 4th Ave S, #115, Seattle, WA 98134
Date: August 23, 2017
Time: 6:30 - 7:30 pm
Registration is not required but is encouraged! Please register at: