AdventureSmith Explorations Expands Options to Discover Asia on Small Ship Cruises
Posted: June 16, 2019
Story by AdventureSmith Explorations
Songs have been sung about a special island “where the sky meets the sea.”
AdventureSmith Explorations, the international experts in small ship expedition cruising, invites the curious traveler to take advantage of new travel options and numerous incentives currently being offered.
“Asia small ship travel is growing, and for good reason,” said Todd Smith, Founder and President of AdventureSmith Explorations. “The myriad island and river itineraries showcasing endemic wildlife, underwater wonderlands, traditional local cultures and intriguing history present an expanse of options sure to delight travelers looking to sail into remote areas.”
Smith advises considering the following when planning a small ship cruise through Indonesia, New Guinea, the South Pacific (including Tahiti) or Southeast Asia (including Vietnam and Cambodia):
Determine how you imagine engaging with the new worlds you will visit. What’s most important to you? History, culture, wildlife, snorkeling? Then hone in on those itineraries that come closest to your ideas. For example, Flores, Komodo & Bali cruises embrace volcanoes, rainforests, waterfalls white-sand beaches and explorations of traditional lifestyles in quiet coastal villages. Raja Ampat cruises in the Coral Triangle delight snorkelers in an underwater paradise and birding enthusiasts on jungle-clad karst islands. And Mekong River cruises beckon those seeking unique cultures, Khmer temples and some of the world’s most interesting markets, like the floating Cai Be.
Assess the style and size of the ship that will be your home on one of these adventures. AdventureSmith Explorations’ 14 to 120 passenger vessels range from a classic, wooden schooner for 24 guests, Ombak Putih, to the brand new 120-guest Coral Adventurer, a technologically sophisticated, purpose-built, long-distance luxury expedition ship to the 40-guest luxury riverboat, Aqua Mekong. New to Indonesia is a recently refurbished, long-range luxury yacht, the 30-passenger Aqua Blu that in November 2019 begins sailing through Raja Ampat, the Spice Islands and Komodo National Park. With the Blu added to the Southeast Asia vessel lineup, AdventureSmith offers a unique ship for both ocean and river trips for every type of adventure traveler.
Factor in the time of year. Ships cruise Asia year-round; however, they often follow trade winds and weather patterns to sail certain locations during their drier, less-windy months. For example, in Indonesia, Bali is preferred from spring through fall and Raja Ampat October through February. And in Tahiti, look for cruises mostly sailing in the spring.
Plan your cruise far enough in advance to make sure you get on the ship of your choice that’s going where you want to go. For example, Coral Adventurer in 2020 will be utilized on only three Islands of Indonesia itineraries. Kayaking, snorkeling and Scuba diving (optional with lessons and equipment) can be arranged. Guests also seek out glimpses of the prehistoric Komodo Dragon, the largest lizard in the world. The 15-day cruises depart Feb. 27-March 12, March 12-April 1 and April 1-April 15. The per person double rate is from $8,535.
AdventureSmith also suggests taking advantage of current cost-saving incentives that come with certain departures. These include:
- Free sailing for one child (under age 12 sharing cabin with two adults) on August 2019 departures of Sailing Indonesia: Bali, Komodo & Flores. This eight-day cruise explores the cultural and natural diversity found along the Lesser Sunday Islands chain aboard the 24-guest authentic sailing vessel, Ombak Putih, or her 14-guest sister ship, Katharina. The per person double rate is from $3,210.
- Waiving the single supplement on new bookings made by July 31, 2019, on select departures on French Polynesian Discovery: Tahiti to the Marquesas cruise . The 10-day cruise is from $8,360 aboard the 102-passenger National Geographic Orion.
- Waiving the single supplement on October - November 2019 Frontier Lands of New Guinea (11 days, per person rate of $8,222) on the 120-passenger Coral Adventurer.
- Receiving free roundtrip Los Angeles to Tahiti airfare on select Azure Seas of the South Pacific cruises booked by July 31, 2019.
- Booking an Aqua Mekong River cruise by December 31, 2019, to save up to $1,960 per person. The 40-guest Aqua Mekong carries passengers on a river with 2,000 years of history.
- Enjoying $1,000 air credits on Category 2 or higher bookings on Dec. 16 or Dec. 30, 2019, departures of Vietnam & Cambodia: Along the Mekong River, Angkor & Saigon Cruises.
For details on all of AdventureSmith Explorations’ small ship cruises, itineraries, availability and for 2019-2020 reservations, please call 866-575-2875 toll-free or visit the company website.
About AdventureSmith Explorations - Think Outside the Boat!
Founded in 2003, AdventureSmith Explorations is based in Truckee, CA, near the northern shore of Lake Tahoe. A recognized leader in small ship cruising, in 2012 owner Todd Smith first joined the ranks of Condé Nast Traveler's prestigious world’s Top Travel Specialists list as the leading expert on small ship expeditions, a distinction that he still enjoys to this day.