7 of the most remote NEW hiking trips
One of the key requisites for the truly adventurous traveler is to go to the places that no one else does. A commonly held belief is that there’s nothing left to be discovered in Europe. That simply isn’t true – with the Balkans re-emerging as the top of the pack of new destinations, the lesser known islands of the Canaries and the Cyclades flourishing and clients seeking new thrills in the Alps. KE is committed to developing adventure itineraries in all emerging destinations ahead of the crowds. Here are some of our top tips for 2018:
A spectacular walking and cultural holiday in Bosnia and Herzegovina with time to explore Mostar and Sarajevo plus Dubrovnik in Croatia.
• Hike up Maglić (2386m) Bosnia’s highest peak on the Via Dinarica trail
• Wilderness areas in the Bjelasnica Mountains and Sutjeska National Park
• Stay in the beautiful UNESCO World Heritage gems of Mostar and Dubrovnik
• Wander through Sarajevo and enjoy wine-tasting in the old town of Trebinje
Why? With lovely day walks at the start of the holiday you’ll be fully prepared for Mount Maglic. KE believes standing on Bosnia’s highest peak deserves a reward, so we've included wine tasting in Trebenje to help you celebrate
2. Walking the Secret South, Albania - 8 days
Rugged mountains plunging down to pristine white beaches and the perfectly preserved UNESCO city of Gjirokaster – Southern Albania offers arguably the most undiscovered hiking in Albania.
• Stroll through the colorful capital of Tirana and enchanting old town of Berat
• Walk through olive groves and visit Albania’s Riviera on the Mediterranean Coast
• Hike in the charming Cilka Mountain Range and along the undiscovered trail of St Thomas
• Experience Albania’s culture and history while staying in the beautiful city of Gjirokaster
Why? Undiscovered hiking, medieval towns, and a stretch of coastline that offers the most spectacular views of the Adriatic.
Unique European walking holiday to El Hierro an undiscovered UNESCO World Biosphere in the Canary Islands
• Superb walking including Pico de Malpaso (1501m) El Hierros highest point
• Explore Valverde, the laurels of sabinar, Gareo holy tree and Orchilla lighthouse
• Walk the GR131 with views across to Mount Teide on Tenerife and La Gomera
• Visit San Andres the highest village and look for El Hierro's Giant Lizard
Why? Join the Canary Islands walking experts on this NEW Exclusive to KE holiday which starts on neighboring Tenerife with its excellent flight connections. We've included all meals plus the ferry and an internal flight back to Tenerife leaving you free to spend your holiday money on well-earned treats - how about some of El Hierro's excellent wine for example!
A center-based walking holiday on the colorful island of Fuerteventura a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in the Canary Islands.
• Hike the Camino Real from Lajares to Corralejo via the Calderón of Hondo
• Explore Betancuria the former capital and walk through the Betancuria mountains
• Enjoy coastal walks with views of the Atlantic and take a boat to the isle of Lobos
• All meals and center-based in charming accommodation with a swimming pool
Why? As the Canary Islands experts, we're always working hard to create that special walking holiday with the perfect combination of picturesque trails, wonderful leaders, superb accommodation and all delicious meals included. This one has it all - welcome to the Hidden Trails of Fuerteventura.
A superb one-week walking holiday in the heart of the French Mercantour National Park
• Go off the beaten track in the “Vallee des Merveilles” with our specially qualified guides to see the ancient petroglyphs
• Quiet trails and wild trekking in the land of chamois, ibex, and marmot
• Enjoy French food in characterful refuges and gites
• Visit Nice, the epicenter of Riviera glamour
Why? We take you to the parts of France other tour operators fail to reach! Explore a quieter side of the French Alps and enjoy some Riviera glamour along the way.
6. Queyras Snowshoe Week 7 days
A one-week snowshoeing holiday in the quiet Queyras area of the French Alps
• Snowshoeing in France in remote valleys & quiet trails, away from the crowds
• Enjoy spectacular mountain views, including the Ecrins National Park
• Centre-based in the charming small town of St Veran
• Fully guided and all snowshoe equipment provided
Why? Towards the south of France in a much lesser known area of the Alps is the beautiful Queryras National Park, this one week snowshoe holiday allow us to explore this magical winter wonderland on quiet, untouched trails.
A one-week sailing and walking holiday in Greece, visiting the lesser-known islands of the Cyclades
• Walk ancient trails on the Greek Islands of Kea, Kythnos, Syros, and Serifos
• Fantastic introduction to sailing with instruction from expert skippers
• A Cyclades Greek Island-hopping holiday with a difference
• Swim and snorkel in the Aegean Sea and dine in traditional Greek Tavernas
Why? Great way to explore the least known of the Cyclades, Flotilla holidays in Greece very popular, adventure on sea and land. Walk on Greek islands too.