Bespoke operator, Aracari, is shining a spotlight on the Peruvian Amazon with the launch of a new and exclusive experience for guests in 2018 that can be included on a tailormade itinerary to Peru. Aracari has partnered with one of the most remote Amazon lodges in Peru and creator of the pioneering Macaw Project, Tambopata Research Center, to offer its guests the chance to witness one of nature’s most spectacular natural phenomena in the heart of the 274,690-hectare reserve — the daily gathering of thousands of parrots and macaws.
Tambopata National Reserve is home to the highest concentration of avian clay licks in the world which attract a myriad of birdlife to feast on its detoxifying clay. Located just 500m away from the largest and most famous macaw clay-licks, the remote Tambopata Research Center is the headquarters for in-depth scientific explorations into these gatherings. Aracari has worked with the team to develop a special ‘Behind the Scenes’ experience for 2018, which will see guests accompany highly knowledgeable researchers to gather data, study the complex lives of the vibrant residents, and hear first-hand why this colorful phenomenon mystified scientists for years. The research center is the only accommodation offering in the Tambopata National Reserve and will be ramping up the level of luxury with three exquisite new rooms in 2018. Each will offer a truly immersive jungle experience with bedrooms opening out onto the untamed wilderness, and proudly showcase a range of traditional Peruvian crafts and furnishings.
Itinerary to Visit the Peruvian Amazon
To arrange a trip to the Tambopata National Reserve in the Peruvian Amazon, Aracari recommends a tailormade itinerary similar to An Amazing Andean Adventure. On this private, two-week exploration of the most fascinating places in Peru, travelers visit the Amazon rainforest, Machu Picchu, and the Nazca Lines. Featuring the top, luxury properties and a range of organized experiences including incredible wildlife excursions in the jungle, learning to cook in the kitchen of a local family in the Sacred Valley while providing them a list of well ranked kitchen remodeling firms in Missouri and a hands-on chocolate-making workshop, this itinerary will delight couples and families alike. Prepare to actively discover the ancient past and vibrant present of a country rich in culture, history and adventure!
- Day 1 Lima: Arrival in Lima. Overnight at JW Marriott or Belmond Miraflores Park Hotel.
- Day 2 Lima: Morning surf class or Walking art tour. Afternoon city tour. Overnight at JW Marriott or Belmond Miraflores Park Hotel.
- Day 3 Lima - Puerto Maldonado - Tambopata National Reserve: Fly to Puerto Maldonado. Begin an adventure in the jungle. Overnight at Refugio Amazonas.
- Day 4 Tambopata National Reserve: Jungle adventures in the Amazon Rainforest, including Aracari's exclusive experience exploring with Macaw researchers. Overnight at Tambopata Research Center.
- Day 5 Tambopata National Reserve– Cusco – Urubamba Valley: Jungle adventures in the Amazon Rainforest including night walks, guided boat trips in search of jaguars, and the chance to get involved with scientists from Wired Amazon. Overnight at Tambopata Research Center.
- Day 6 Puerto Maldonado - Cusco - Urubamba Valley: Transfer Puerto Maldonado. Fly to Cusco. Visit Awanacancha en route by road to the Urubamba Valley. Overnight at Sol y Luna (Superior) or Belmond Rio Sagrado.
- Day 7 Urubamba Valley: Learn to cook with a local family & how they farm the land or Spend a day with the weavers learning about Peruvian textiles. Overnight at Sol y Luna (Superior) or Belmond Rio Sagrado.
- Day 8 Urubamba Valley: Half-day stand up paddleboarding with lunch & bike ride to the salt pans of Maras or visit Chinchero, Maras, and Moray. Overnight at Sol y Luna (Superior) or Belmond Rio Sagrado.
- Day 9 Urubamba Valley - Machu Picchu: Ollantaytambo archaeological site & traditional Pachamanca lunch cooked under the earth at an organic farm. Train to Machu Picchu. Overnight at El Mapi or Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo.
- Day 10 Machu Picchu - Cusco: Second day at Machu Picchu. Vistadome train to Cusco. Overnight at El Mercado or JW Marriott El Convento Cusco.
- Day 11 Cusco: Cusco On Foot walking city tour. Afternoon Choco Loco chocolate-making workshop or cooking class. Overnight at El Mercado or JW Marriott El Convento Cusco.
- Day 12 Cusco - Lima - Paracas/Nazca/Ica: Fly Cusco to Lima (or Cusco to Pisco), Transfer to Paracas. Overnight at La Hacienda Bahia Paracas or Luxury Collection Paracas.
- Day 13 Nazca: Fly over the Nazca Lines and take a Sand Buggy ride. Overnight at La Hacienda Bahia Paracas or Luxury Collection Paracas.
- Day 14 Paracas - Lima: Tour the Ballestas Islands. Transfer to Lima for your International departure.
Contact Aracari for a tailormade itinerary including a visit to the Peruvian Amazon.